Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bruschetta with Olive and Avacado Tapenade on Munich Sourdough

Bruschetta with Olive and Avacado Tapenade
This is my modified version of an Italian classic, Bruschetta, which is usually served as an appetizer. I like to eat it as an entire meal. 2-3 slices and I am satisfied. It is usually made by rubbing garlic and extra-virgin olive oil on roasted bread and then topping it off with diced tomatoes and various other ingredients. To me, the traditional way is boring so I felt like switching it up. Instead of diced tomatoes, I decided to whip up a tapenade with some olives I had kicking around in my fridge and an avocado that I completely forgot I had. I used all organic ingredients and a Munich Sourdough loaf (double-baked rye sourdough). I also happened to measure everything, for once, so now I can share the recipe with you. You don't have to use Munich Sourdough. I chose it because I enjoy the density and flavour of it; however, any unsliced loaf of bread would do. This recipe can serve 2-3 for a dinner or 6-8 as an appy.


Ingredients

1 Loaf Munich Sourdough

1 cup of olives (Kalamata or Sicilian)

1 medium size avocado (medium-ripe is best)

1 tablespoon capers

3 cloves garlic

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

3 teaspoons lemon juice 

1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

200ml crushed tomatoes 

2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil (if desired)

2 cups of shredded mozzarella (if desired)

Directions

1) Pit and mince the olives and put them in a mixing bowl.
 
2) Finely mince the capers and peeled garlic cloves and put into the bowl. 
 
3) Remove the pit from the avocado and scoop out the flesh. Mince the avocado to approximately the same size as you did the olives. Put the avocado in the bowl.

4) Add lemon juice, olive oil and pepper. Stir the ingredients well. 

5) Cover bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least an hour (the longer the better to let the flavours mingle).

6) When you are ready to prepare, preheat oven to 425F.

7) Slice bread into 3/4" thick slices and place on baking sheet (baking stone if you have one).

8) Put bread in oven for 5 minutes or so (or until edges start to brown).

9) Remove bread from oven. Mix the finely chopped basil into the crushed tomatoes and spoon some of the sauce onto each slice of bread. If desired, sprinkle mozzarella onto each piece of bread.

10) Place bread back in oven for 4-5 more minutes (or until cheese is sufficiently melted).

11) Remove bread from oven, let sit for a few minutes, and then spoon some tapenade onto each slice.

12) Enjoy.


So, there you have it. My Olive and Avocado Bruschetta recipe. Give it a try and leave some feedback for me. Any suggestions and opinions are welcome. 

Cheers.










No comments:

Post a Comment