Friday, January 13, 2012

Thai-Style Coconut Shrimp Polenta Cakes

Thai-Style Coconut Shrimp Polenta Cakes
So, my favourite family of all time inspired me to make this dish. I copied the base recipe that was taught to me but I added a few of my own touches. With their permission, I was able to share the recipe with you today. These are polenta cakes turned Thai. Typical polenta recipes call for whole milk and/or chicken stock to help flavour them. Instead of either of those, I chose to use coconut milk and water. Using the coconut milk adds the bulk of the flavour so seasoning and sauces are not really necessary but, at the same time, a simple Thai peanut sauce would be very welcome. I also decided to cook the polenta with coconut oil to give it more coconut flavour. So, here is the recipe. I hope you enjoy it. Can serve 3-4 people.


Ingredients

2 cups water

2 cups coconut milk

1 cup organic yellow cornmeal

1/4 cup chopped green onions

100g cooked shrimp

1 tsp sea-salt

1 tbsp coconut oil

1-2 Thai chilies (more if you like spicy food)

Directions

1) Rinse the shrimp and chop into small pieces. Set aside.

2) Heat the water, coconut milk, salt and finely chopped Thai chilies (with seeds) in a medium-size saucepan and bring to a boil.

3) Slowly whisk the cornmeal into the saucepan. Turn the heat to low and continue whisking until the mixture is smooth and creamy (about 4-5 minutes).

4) When the polenta is creamy, remove it from the burner and add the chopped cooked shrimp and chopped green onions. Mix the contents thoroughly.

5) Pour the polenta mixture into a 9 x 9 inch casserole dish. Cover and place in refrigerator to cool and set (approx. 20-30 minutes should work).

6) When polenta has set, remove from the refrigerator and cut into pieces with a knife.

7) Add coconut oil to a large non-stick frying pan. Set heat to medium-high. When the oil is hot, transfer the polenta cakes to the frying pan.

8) Fry until the polenta cakes are golden-brown on each side.

9) Enjoy! 

So, there you have it. The coconut shrimp polenta cakes recipe that I appropriated and modified. You can serve it with peanut or sriracha sauce if you like but it is also fantastic on its own. Thank you so much to my favourite family for letting me post this recipe. 


Cheers!!


No comments:

Post a Comment