Monday, January 23, 2012

Sneaky Baker's Cookie

Sneaky Baker's Cookie
Cookies!! Yes, that's right, cookies!! I wanted some cookies so I made them!! Don't judge me... But wait, you can't judge me too much because these aren't regular cookies... these are sneaky cookies. I snuck (I don't like the word sneaked so I don't use it) some good, healthy ingredients in there and substituted in some better ingredients. They still aren't necessarily "good" for you per se (especially if you eat too many... which I did while baking them) but they are definitely more healthy than traditional cookie recipes. Like I said when I first created this blog, my goal is to develop healthy recipes and make bad recipes more healthy. So, this recipe is as healthy as I want to go when it comes to cookies. Instead of a pound of butter (cringe...), I opted to use coconut oil [no cholesterol]. I also used Kamut flour instead of the evil bleached wheat flour. I also threw in some sunflower seeds and hemp seeds along with the chocolate chips and raisins. I hope you're salivating by now. Here's the recipe. Yield: 18-20 cookies.

Ingredients

2 cups Kamut Flour

1 cup virgin coconut oil

1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar

1 cup rolled oats

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

2 eggs

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/4 cup raisins

1/4 cup sunflower seeds (if desired replace 1/4 cup chocolate chips for 1/4 cup more sunflower seeds or raisins)

2 tbsp shelled hemp seeds

1/4 tsp salt


Directions 

1) Preheat oven to 325°F. 

2) In a medium size mixing bowl, combine Kamut flour, baking soda, baking powder, oats, salt and hemp seeds. Mix well. Set aside.

3) Melt coconut oil by placing jar/tub in hot water. When melted enough to pour, measure the coconut oil into a large mixing bowl. Sit bowl on a small pot with hot water in it (to make sure the oil doesn't solidify).

4) Whisk brown sugar, vanilla and eggs into the coconut oil. When thoroughly mixed, add the dry mixture, chocolate chips, raisins and sunflower seeds. Stir well (you may need to use your hands if the mixture is too stiff to stir).                                            

5) Lay a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Use a spoon and your hands to measure dough into small balls (1" diameter). Place them on the cookie sheets spaced far enough to avoid touching while they spread out. Measure all the remaining dough into balls; do not let the dough sit in the bowl (otherwise the coconut oil will solidify and the dough won't stick together well). If you don't have more than one cookie sheet, place dough balls on piece of parchment paper while they wait to be baked.

6) Bake for 12-14 minutes. Immediately remove cookies from the baking sheet and place on rack to cool.

7) Enjoy!!!




So, there you have it. Sneaky Baker's Cookies. Next time around I think I may add a 1/2 teaspoon of instant coffee to the mix. I think it would taste great. Side note: Kamut is not gluten free. Don't be fooled. It is wheat. However, for those with wheat sensitivities, you may find Kamut easier to digest than regular wheat flour. Ok, so, don't forget, if you try this recipe out, please give me some feedback. 


Cheers!!





No comments:

Post a Comment